Thursday, January 30, 2014

King Arthur, Monty Python, and Merlin



Okay...just me, posting on a blog here. I think I will write about my influence map, and how it relates to my ideas on King Arthur. My influence map is posted below (unless my computer skills aren't with me today).


As you can see, there are movie references on my map. This is because my ideas on King Arthur have been based mostly on movies I have seen. Juvenile? Maybe, but who could forget...



"'Tis but a scratch!" (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

I'm sure your image of King Arthur may be a noble knight who looks something like Fabio, but mine is Graham Chapman from Monty Python chopping off the limbs of the stubborn Black Knight. As for the way I envision Arthur's other foes, well, I'll let you see for yourself...



 In fact, I thought King Arthur was an actual, real-life historical figure up until I was in middle school.
Wait...he wasn't real...was he?
As you can see, my knowledge of King Arthur is limited... 

"Get on with it!!"




The next movie I added to my influence map is The Sword in the Stone. I probably watched this movie about fifty times with my grandparents as a kid. The imagery was so appealing to me, and I couldn't get over how adorable Merlin was with his annoying bird-friend.

Aren't they cute?

Merlin has always been the most fascinating character to me in the King Arthur legends. It's because of him that I have no idea why anyone believes that the legends are true. I can believe in a noble king, but I find a wizard hard to buy. How could this have actually happened? Then again, I believe things in the Bible that may seem far fetched to some. Either way, I'm fascinated by Merlin. Who was he? What did he do? What was his relationship to Arthur? I seem to care more about Merlin than Arthur himself (which is why Merlin is in the center of my influence map).


(I wonder if this "witch" from Monty Python was a reference to Merlin at all)

I also added images of chivalry and courtly love on my influence map. There is a modern image of chivalry because I think the virtues that King Arthur had are valued in society today. It seems that women are put in powerful positions in these legends. Courtly love seems to give a woman a respectable position, instead of the damsel in distress. Although, it is hard for me to believe that two people can be in such a close relationship without any tension...Anyhow, that's all I have to say for now. I leave you with the song of The Knights of the Round Table. Farewell!
  





4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Merlin is a more appealing character in some ways than Arthur is, which could be because of his magical abilities which ranges depending on the version on Merlin you get. In some versions he can see the past and future, some he can talk to animals, and others he can move objects.

    I am more interested in what his relationship is to Arthur. I talked about Merlin in my blog post because when I think of one I think of the other. In my blog post, I referred to Merlin as a puppet master. I feel like he has a lot of control over Arthu'rs actions and decisions because of the counsel he provides him, but mixed with a magical element. I think sometime Arthur listen, but other thine defies him, but Merlin generally has control over situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are interesting thoughts sbout Merlin. As I said bevore, I don't know much about him, but I would love to find out! Merlin seems like a legend in himself, because for the longest time I did not relate Merlin to King Arthur! I thought of him as the teller of his own story.

      Delete
  2. What would a modernized version of chivalry look like--especially one that included women? What are some of Arthur's virtues that are particularly suitable to this day and age? On a loyalty meter what would my reading be? How often do I hear faithfulness or fidelity mentioned in conversations on friendship and "community"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good questions! Hmm...when I visualize virtues that are suitable to today (keep in mind that my knowledge of King Arthur could fit into a peanut) I think of smaller, but nevertheless important things. A man holding the door for a woman (as you can see, a man is putting a shoe on a woman on my map) would be one thing. If I could use my boyfriend as an example (bizarre but bear with me): he is always there for me as a shoulder to cry on, carries my bags for me, and will stick up for me if anyone is trying to mess with me. When I envision King Arthur, I see him acting this way towards the people, big and small. Did I answer all your questions?

      Delete