Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Bitch, a Fool and a Beheading

So... Who else was highly disappointed with the end of The Knight of the Cart? I know I was, "here ends the romance of Lancelot of the Cart." This was like the series finally of Dexter that left everyone hating the writer.


Next, lets talk about that last battle for a moment. Meleagant definitely got what he deserved, I just wish he had put up more of a fight. For such a "strong" knight he went down so fast. On a side note, I binged Game of Thrones last week and Meleagant kind of reminds me of King Joffrey. He thinks very highly of himself, and things are his way or the high way. His father though is quite the honorable, chivalrous man that drew the short straw when he had children.

Thirdly, pardon my word choice, Guinevere is a BITCH. This valiant knight has travelled so far to save her from capture and puts his honor on the line to fight for her and she's like, " Sir, in truth he has wasted his efforts. I shall always deny that I feel any gratitude toward him." (Pg. 151) So, he leaves to find the man she does want to see Gawain and in the process gets kidnapped. To which she gets sad and expresses that she was joking earlier, and does love Lancelot.  I have a couple of problems with this scenario. First, you played mind games with a man that would go to worlds end for you and cross a sword bridge to free you. Secondly, YOU ARE A MARRIED WOMAN!!!!!!! Therefore, Queen Guinevere, I am putting you on bitch notice. I won't go on anymore about my feelings about this vile woman.

Lastly, I will say that it is admirable to try and strive to be a chivalrous knight that follows the tradition of Courtly Love, as Lancelot does. With that said, Lancelot is a FOOL.  I completely understand that you love the aforementioned woman but that doesn't mean you have to be whipped. YOU CAN'T EVEN TOUCH HER. she's MARRIED.

All in all. I appreciate the literary work, but in my own opinion whomever was commissioned to write this Romance should be taken out back and walled up in a tower for writing such a irking story.


6 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your Guinevere section, as I was reading I could not believe that she treated him so then slept with him. I kept thinking about the rules of courtly love, okay so if marriage doesn't matter they are free to love. The thing that bothered me in relation to the courtly love was the fact that he was not supposed to touch her, its all about loving from afar and he was fool enough to sleep with her in a castle full of knights and those who know she is King Arthur's WIFE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you...somewhat. I'll explain in a blog of my own. Also, did you catch this scenario when Lancelot was fighting: a girl goes "Hey Lancelot, look!" and when Lancelot does she basically goes, "You freakin' cow! You turned your back during battle!" I mean....whaaat? What's the poor guy supposed to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't hate Gwen i just really hate how she treats Lance. Like at this part she gets him all turned around in the battle of his life, rude. Then later at the tournament where she tells hims to "do his worst". It's just mean. And unnecessary. If she really loves him she should stop helping other people kick his ass.

      Delete
  3. I hated the ending as well. Just so abrupt. To me Lancelot beating Meleagant is the climax of the story, so you now need something after it to wrap the whole thing up. But nothing! Leaving us hanging over here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with both Katie and Eric. There is nothing worse than a cliffhanging ending, and Gwen is just a cow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't hate Gwen either, but I saw parallels with her and women today. There will always be that one guy in a girls life, that is willing to do anything for her, but she doesn't see him more than a friend.

    ReplyDelete