Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Hilarious saga of the mantle story

I wanted to write this before class today, but ran out of time. I really enjoyed reading about the Saga of the Mantle. I noted a couple of quotes while reading this that I found to be hilarious. The first is the beginning of the story, when King Arthur is described. "He was the most valiant man at arms, the most generous with gifts, the gentlest in words, the cleverest in his designs, the most benevolent in mercy, the most polished in good manners, the noblest in all kingly craft, godfearing in his undertakings, gentle to the good, harsh to the wicked, merciful to the needy, hospitable to the companionable, so perfect in his entire authority that neither ill will nor malice was found in him..." This quote is so dramatized, that there is no way this is describing ONE person. It seems as if the original author is describing GOD. This is absolutely hilarious to me. However, this is King Arthur and everything about these stories are over the top.

The next quote I thought was even more funny was when Kay wants his beloved to try on the mantle. He was so much faith in her loyalty to him that he doesn't even think twice about the mantle not fitting her. Low and behold, "the mantle became so short for her in back that it hardly reached the hollow of her knees; in front, however, it did not even reach the knee." Kay was absolutely embarrassed by the others, but took happiness when the other knight's beloveds did not have a victory. Kay goes on to talk about the other women stating, "I  shall not be the only one to be disgraced today because of my beloved...I can easily interpret what that means: this beautiful maiden has raised up her right leg but the left leg she let lie quietly while she allowed the man she liked to do what she wished him to do...I shall lead you a seat beside my beloved because there are no two women more alike than you two are." Once I read this, I had to stop and laugh. Kay calls her a beautiful woman, then he embarrasses her in front of everyone as if they could not see what the cloak had revealed for themselves.

At the end of the story, Karadin and his beloved triumph over everyone. He really shows the reader and the other knights what a real man is. He treated his woman with respect and loyalty. I believe this contributed to her not wandering astray from him. Although King Arthur ordered all the woman try on the mantle, she would not until she received Karadin's permission. The other knights of the court, especially Kay, embarrassed all of the women (with the exception of the last) and disrespected them. This is not one of the 31 rules of courtly love. Respect is a part of love, to me, and it goes both ways. These beloved women are stepping outside of their relationships probably because their men do not treat them the way they ought to be treated. King Arthur should set an example because in every story so far, Guinevere has cheated on Arthur. Although it does not specify in what way in this story.

I really enjoyed this story. It was short and humorous at the same time. I hope we read more stories like this one, as far as length is concerned. Many King Arthur stories are way too long for my taste. But entertaining. I also added the picture below because it reminded me of the elf who wove the mantle. 

7 comments:

  1. What I found to be humorous was that King Arthur found the mantle to be great entertainment--even though it was at the expense of his knights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Side note: I think it is hilarious that you chose that image to represent the elven lady. She sends a mantle around to test the women's virtue while she is wearing that dress? How hypocritical. (I am well aware that the image is your idea of what she might look like, just thought I'd comment)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it like that, but yes it is hypocritical. For some reason, that was the best picture I could find to represent what I pictured in my head. I now find that hilarious.

      Delete
  3. Also, Ruth, I would like to add to your comment. It wasn't just at his knights' expense, it was also at his own, since Guinevere too tried on the mantle. And here's an interesting question: do you think that Arthur encouraged all the women to try on the mantle so that he could distract the court of the fact that the queen did not fit in it? Perhaps to cover up his own embarrassment with the embarrassment of his knights and lords?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also thinking the same thing. We did not hear a lot about Guinevere's infidelity, but the other women's infidelity was described and they were also made fun of. It took paragraphs and paragraphs to describe all these other women, but no one took the time to talk about Guinevere. It's like they just gave her a pass.

      Delete
    2. Last I checked adultery was a pretty big crime back then. So I've been amazed many times during this semester at how little punishment is doled out for all of the affairs that we see revealed.

      Delete
  4. I think that Arthur's reaction of making the other ladies try the mantle, if it was to distract from Guinevere, is similar to his reaction in the film I watched, Camelot. He draws attention away from her infidelity though he tries to change the courts view.

    ReplyDelete