Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Mantle of Relationship Doom

So as I was reading The Saga of the Mantle I couldn't help but laugh as all the knights put their girlfriends up on pedestals. Like "I'm absolutely certain that my girl is totally faithful!" and then...well...nope. One by one all these women failed to be faithful and yet the knights were still all convinced that their 'lady love' would be the one who got to keep the mantle. Then they all started getting pissy when things didn't go their way. They started giving each other crap and then they started throwing shade at the women. My personal favourite on that count has to go to Sir Kay who while leading another unfaithful women to the growing circle said: "I know for certain that there will soon be a large and fine gathering here." Like, damn son. Have you no faith? Although I guess he was right not to.
I also kept laughing at the last knight, Karadin, who told his lady not to do it because he loved her too much. The one guy who really really didn't want his girlfriend trying on the cloak is the only one who came out unscathed. Good job sir.
So between this mantle of relationship doom and the horn from the Lai du cor (as mentioned in the intro) there is a lot of public hating on unfaithful women. Can we have a story about knights being useless cheating jerks and publicly shamed? Because I would be all over that fresh change of pace. Why are the women the horrible flawed parts of the relationship? And why do all these knights get offended that their 'lady loves' are cheating on them? Like yeah, get offended, but look around too. Your girl has to be cheating with someone and more likely than not it's one of your bros (Just ask Arthur, he's an expert on this one).

Anyway, that's my ramblings.

2 comments:

  1. I thought similarly about the knights' reactions. I was thinking if they are unfaithful they are probably unfaithful with another knight in the room. I couldn't believe the spectacle they were making at each other only to be victim of the same shame moments later, it goes to say don't dish it if you can't take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were one of those knights I would have been more nervous than anything. Because if I was sleeping with any of these women, then I KNOW they'll fail. And if they fail, maybe their man will ask who the other guy was? Hmm

      Delete