Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Green Knight Part One

So I wasn't in class when you all discussed the first part of the Green Knight, but I wanted to share a few things that ran through my mind. The way I perceived this was basically that this green knight shows up, randomly challenges King Arthur to beheading him but receive payback in a year, and for whatever reason Gawain steps up and wants to do it. I mean, I guess to me, if I knew in a year this would come back at me, I probably wouldn't cut off someone's head. I thought maybe if someone wanted to be so crazy to take on this kind of challenge, maybe it was a chance for Gawain to show that he is noble and cares for the king. At first I couldn't really understand why someone would "want" to do that, then again I'm not a knight. Gawain taking on this kind of challenge will forever have him remembered and maybe something good would come out of it doing such a thing. However, I still think its a bit crazy, interesting first part of the story though!

2 comments:

  1. I believe Gawain steps up to prove himself, and also because no one wants King Arthur to die over this challenge. I believe it was a challenge to test their chivalry, to see if the knights are actually going to honor the code and do what they say they are going to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The knights at the time did not know that if someone cut off the head the knight would still be alive. that is why he went for the head, he thought if he cut of the head he would not have to take the blow himself in a year

    ReplyDelete