Saturday, March 29, 2014

poetry may be the death of me

While reading The Lady of Shalott, I found it difficult to understand what was happening in the story and why the lady always stood at her mirror. After going over some of the helpful tips to read poetry in class I'm having an easier time reading our next poem, Tennyson, Idylls of the King. I do not understand why Lancelot is always in every story and why he is made to be so appealing to every maiden. I do not think that Lancelot should be looked at as a noble knight after he has had an affair with Guinevere for fourteen years.  In the story of the Holy Grail, I think it was right for Galahad to have succeeded in his quest because Lancelot has not been noble and is not worthy of the grail because of his affair. I think most of the stories should portray Lancelot has he was seen in the story of the Holy Grail. He is not worthy of anything because of his disrespect not only to himself, but also the king.

I also found it interesting that in The Fair Maid of Astolat that Launcelot wanted his identity shielded from king Arthur in battle. If he wants to be known for being a powerful knight, why would he conceal his identity. I think it was funny how as soon as Elaine saw Launcelot  she was head over heels in love with him. It was wrong of Launcelot to except the token from Elaine because he was just using her to conceal his identity. I was surprised that the story had Launcelot being struck in battle and severely hurt because in all the other Arthurian stories we have read, he has been a fearless, powerful knight that no one can compare to. I definitely think that Lancelot's true colors have come out in these last few stories.

1 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. Lancelot is indeed a reoccurring theme in Arthurian literature. I think he's very much a symbol in these stories, especially where some maiden/woman falls in love with him.

    I think in this poem (lady of Shalott) he's a symbol of all the perks in life or the best of what life has to offer. As I think her falling in love with him, she was really falling in love with that idea...making him the catalyst for her break.

    Because once she's free form the , she's not necessarily chasing after Lancelot.

    ReplyDelete