Monday, April 7, 2014

Noah's Tardis Emporium? What?

Alright, I’m not going to lie. I haven’t read as much as we just did in The Once and Future King in any other book since summer. Yay for college work overload!
Anyway, I think this reading has been my favorite so far. To be honest, I have grown up thinking of Merlin as some old dude with a long beard and a robe covered in stars. Of course he’s a funny character because who can take a man seriously with that fashion sense? Also, Arthur has never been that brawny and such a handsomely awesome death machine warrior king. I guess I have Disney’s Sword in the Stone to thank for those associations because I’ve never taken an interest in the adult versions of King Arthur stories. I know I’m a terrible human being, but I’ve missed a lot of “classic” movies. So needless to say, it was a relief to read something I’m used to visualizing instead of some demonic creepy baby nonsense and assuming Arthur never started from the bottom (sorry Drake ruined that phrase for everyone).
I like reading about Arthur as a child before he became king because he actually does stuff instead of sitting on his throne chowing down while some form of the oddest entertainment takes place. Wow, I thought my Netflix weekend marathons were lame.
So did anyone else think Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium meets Noah’s Ark while reading about Merlin’s hoarding problem? Except, Dr. Who let Merlin use his tardis to accommodate all that random stuff in such a small place. Wow, my nerdy-childish side is showing. That’s embarrassing. Anyway, apparently Merlin borrowed Marry Poppins' bag as well and used it as a hat. So dead mice and worms… no wonder he doesn’t mind Archimedes pooping everywhere.
Overall, I like the comedy in this reading. Other stories have had humor, but it’s usually funny because something is happening that is very unrealistic. 

3 comments:

  1. I love that we are reading this story about Arthur, because like you stated, it shows that Arthur had to come up to where we see Arthur in most of the readings we have read so far in this semester. Also, the part about Merlin and all his stuff. I was totally amazed. Like a kid at Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. I wanted a talking owl, although not for him to poop everywhere and I also don't wanna keep mice and worms everywhere too. But to have dishes that wash themselves and models of technology that will come in hundreds of years as well as the knowledge, is absolutely wonderful. I did not think about Noah's Ark or Marry Popping's bag, but it is a great reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you; it is refreshing to see Arthur in a vulnerable and innocent light. I feel like in most of our past readings, we usually saw the honor, knightly and quest Arthur, where here we see him as a young orphan. And I agree with you too, Amber, I loved reading this story about Arthur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Merlin's room is fashioned on a Tardis like science. Perhaps Merlin has lived as long as Dr. Who.? I bet the original writers/creators of "Dr. Who" were influenced by T.H. White's descriptions.

    I want dishes that wash themselves and but I'm not ready for the first generation of independent floor cleaners--Rumba like things. Certainly, science and technology are attempting to replicate what was once fantasy and science fiction.

    ReplyDelete