Thursday, May 1, 2014

What did I just read?

    Yeah… so Avalon High. I’m not even really sure where to begin with this one. The premise is completely different than any other Arthur story we’ve read. A modern day high school setting is definitely a unique twist on an old story. I can understand how this book could give an ok introduction to the Arthurian legend, but the story itself is so ridiculous that it could only be for children. The ending alone is enough to raise a few eyebrows. Sword vs. Gun? Better surrender. I’m not sure when swords starting beating guns out again, even Excalibur.
    I also cannot stand the whining of teenage girls. So listening to Ellie ramble on about Lance was almost unbearable. We get it, you like him. Let’s move the plot along since we’ve gotten through half of the book and achieved essentially nothing. I guess like what kids in high school also do.
    I should try and pick a few good things out of this story, though. I did like how they linked characters together. Ellie’s parents are historians and can see the story of Arthur unfolding in modern times through their daughter, which was pretty interesting. Will being a football quarterback captain and class president are decent comparisons to what would equate to being “King” in a high school today would mean. The parents of Will and Marco stir up similar feelings as in the real story. If I liked anything out of this book, it was the character web. My one complaint was the relationship between Lance and Jennifer. Yes it had to happen, but no one in high school would ever be that cool over having his girlfriend cheat on him with his best friend. No, high school is full of drama. Will did already like Ellie, but shit would still hit the fan between Will and Lance. I’ve never seen someone be so cool and genuinely happy about that.

    So yeah, overall I did not enjoy this read. This is probably because I’m not a middle school girl, but oh well. Different, yes. Entertaining, not so much. Still, it is pretty interesting to see the story of Arthur change so drastically from how it was told 1500 years ago. That speaks some volume as to the power this story has commanded over time.

5 comments:

  1. I recently watched the movie to see whether it was as bad as people made it out to be, and when you compare the novel and movie side by side, the novel becomes almost bearable. But I also feel like I would appreciate the novel more if I were the intended audience. It is interesting to see that King Arthur is still relevant today

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure back in middle school I would have loved the movie but then again we don't know what good acting is in middle school. Of course as college students we don't want to read or watch something that revolves around 12 or 13 year old drama. Not my favorite read but kind of made me laugh at some of the immaturity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you and I cant stand when girls whine too. Which is part of the reason I sat up when I was reading the end of the book, hoping she got shot. I don't understand how someone can be so in tune with knowing how they feel, but yet still ramble about it. I was cheering for evil in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jay, I like what you said about reading/watching the book and the movie side by side. The book DOES become almost bearable compared to that movie. It really makes you wonder what those producers were thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All though I am a movie person, I feel as though if I were to have watched Avalon High after reading it, I'd probably claw my eyes out. However, people are lured more to the books after they've been adapted to film. The same thing went with the Harry Potter series. I have friends that love the books more than the movie, but I find the movie much more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete