Saturday, February 15, 2014

Courtly Bullshit...*coughs* Ahem, Courtly Love.

I have to say, the reading for the past week...so many feels.

The first this that really sunk into my mind was the riding in the Dwarf cart shame.  Lancelot was (like what Dr.MB said) "Scarlet Lettered" and somehow strangers and everyone in different areas knew about.  I mean, how is there so much shame bestowed upon Lancelot for that tiny, and in my opinion, harmless action?

I think there was this overly exaggerated idea of being honorable-in the terms of being a knight in courtly love.  Because Lancelot wasn't proudly striding his way a long distance to the girl and was riding in a Dwarf cart, people looked at him with disgust.  (wow, I said that out loud and laughed for 3 minutes).  That's kind of ridiculous.  He was already on his way...the fact that his every action has to be in accordance to this unattainable code of ethics, just tells me how ludicrous the ideals of honor, valor and being worthy of courtly love was.

I think courtly love was created out of the delusions thought up by an emotional starved and handicapped individual.  The Rules of Courtly love that we talked about during class...courtly love is an emotional paradox.  It's no wonder people in the times of King Arthur couldn't have a resolution in their courtly love that actually satisfies- meaning that the end result is either incomplete or that the love cannot be fulfilled.  You are left feeling sad..bad way to end a romantic story...or is it?

1 comment:

  1. word of him riding in the cart is like rumors spreading, fast and unstoppable. Courtly love is one of those things that, in my opinion, were written for structure.

    ReplyDelete