Sunday, February 2, 2014

I have been working on my influence map at the same time as I finished the reading. This combination of assignments has made me think about how I view King Arthur and his story.  I have an understanding of the Arthur story that is different than the one as told by Geoffrey of Monmouth. I have always accepted that Lancelot and Guinevere had an affair, Lancelot was not even mentioned by Geoffrey. I believed that Merlin had a much larger part in Arthur's life that this reading let on. Having watched Sword and the Stone and Quest for Camelot, I expected to see much of Merlin in this reading. Another part of the legend I was expecting to see was Excalibur, the sword only Arthur could remove from  the stone. I was also quite surprised to see Arthur as king for so much of the story, many King Arthur stories or legends lead up to his coronation, whereas this led up to his death. I would not say I did not enjoy this version of the King Arthur story but I felt like it was out of place as part of my knowledge of Arthur without the Round Table and some of the characters that I am so very familiar with when it comes to the story of Arthur.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, never fear: Lancelot. Guinevere, and Merlin will all be with us soon. Geoffrey actually wrote an entire book about Merlin - he is a pretty old part of the legend.

    ReplyDelete