Monday, February 3, 2014

Random Ramblings for the Start of Term

Fair warning to all, when I think King Arthur my mind has been programmed to first think of either Bradley James or Graham Chapman. There is of course all the notions about courtly love and tournaments and magic in there as well. But Bradley and Graham are the first things to come to mind. So I apologize in advance if I post a fair amount of their faces when I need examples. Like right now.











(They don't look too much alike.)

I grew up reading stories about King Arthur (books tend to become a big player when you suck at making friends) but they were generally watered-down children's versions of the stories. They focused more on comedy and the fun aspects of life in Camelot. Less so on the murder and betrayal and war.

King Arthur was one of those kings who seemed to be good at his job to a fault. He put everyone else before himself to a point that it was basically unhealthy. That's the preconception I've had for most of my life. I'd like to see how it changes over the course of the term.

That's not to mean he wasn't a bad-ass fighter and a great leader. Important qualities in a medieval king but he could have learned to watch his own back around his family. (Yay Mordred).
Anyway...that's about it for me.

2 comments:

  1. You'll definitely be seeing some of Arthur's faults over the course of the semester! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is perfectly understandable that those are the first two people who come to mind when thinking about Arthur, it happened to me as well. I realized this when I did my first two blog post, and both included a picture of Bradley James and a clip of Monty Python.

    It's funny how at this point most of us have a kind of cookie cutter image of Arthur as a King. We all kind of see him as a good noble ruler, who was a great fighter, and free of flaws. It will be interesting to see how perceptions change when we are exposed to different ideas.

    ReplyDelete