Monday, February 3, 2014

Oh! Such Magnificence and Fame in Your Round Shape!

The title does, in fact, refer to the Round Table; the one that brought all of King Arthur's knights together for some nice, manly bonding in politics and war ( Ah those bloody Romans).  And perhaps just to chat...no probably not.
They just look so symmetrical, it's amazing! I really like this depiction of the round table from First Knight

But you are probably thinking "Duh, the Round Table is Arthur 101" and you would be right, since it is brought up so often in Arthurian legends that it goes hand in hand with Camelot! However, to me the table also brings together the knights whom I have grown up reading about since I first began my journey with this king of legend.

The  book above was written by Gerald Morris, and is included in my influence map! I read the book in sixth grade, and it actually focuses more on Gawain, and his page Terence, then on King Arthur. This book also made me more fascinated with the knights of the round table in general ( it was also humorous as the front cover demonstrates, I mean I usually don't ride a horse in that manner). So instead of focusing on the king himself the books succeeded in glorifying Arthur through his knights and the people, much like legends show.

"...these three rings represent
the unity of our kingdom.
As a knight, I took an oath...to protect Camelot, King Arthur
...and Excalibur."
With the round table, and the knights who sit there, there comes to mind the great sword of King Arthur: Excalibur. I grew up with the beautiful movie Quest for Camelot ( thus the picture) and so I have always viewed the sword as a mighty magical gift that brings the kingdom together. Yet, in the reading Geoffrey refers to the sword as Caliburn. I was puzzled at that moment but after looking into the name I discovered it was the same sword but just different context. Meaning: it is the difference between Welsh legend (Caledfwich) and the later altered name in Continental Europe: Excalibur. Yes, it bothered me immensely why the sword had different names! Glory to the internet for leading me to salvation!




3 comments:

  1. Courtney, thanks for sharing. The different names for the sword can be confusing. Where did you find the solution on the good ol' interwebs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, about your comment about the humorous cover "I don't usually ride a horse in that manner." Does that mean you sometimes ride facing backwards? Just curious--maybe you've done vaulting or just like horsing around....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Court, those Gerald Morris books were basically the best part of middle school. I liked the idea that they focused on the knights less than Arthur. He was a character, of course, but I enjoyed that he wasn't the primary focus. Everything about his character was shown as a reflection in the actions of his knights (or their squires, pages, lady friends, and other random companions). That was kind of nifty.

    ReplyDelete