Monday, February 3, 2014

When I think of King Arthur, my mind instantly brings me to a really corny movie I owned when I was younger called the Sorcerer's Apprentice. Not the newer one with Nicholas Cage, but a 2002 version (wow that makes the movie 12 years old, yikes!) that barely even mentioned Arthur at all. It was mostly about a young boy that befriended his elderly neighbor, who turned out to be the sorcerer Merlin. There's a whole battle against good (Merlin) and evil (Morgana), of course, and in the end the evil sorceress is defeated. I put a picture from this movie on my influence map although this movie is a poor excuse for an Arthurian legend. It is still a fond childhood memory that I relate back to Merlin, magic, and King Arthur. Therefore it will always come to mind when asked about this topic. 

1 comment:

  1. What I think is interesting, is how so many of us, myself included, focus on Merlin when thinking about King Arthur. Sometimes it's like Merlin and Arthur can be viewed in two ways. The first, Arthur is the lead with Merlin in a supporting role who helps and guides him. The second, Merlin is the staring role, with Arthur in the supporting role, highlighting Merlin's accomplishments. Sometimes it just seems that when thinking of Arthurian Legend we think Merlin before we even think of Arthur. He's such an instrumental player in who we perceive Arthur to be.

    ReplyDelete