Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Good ole loyalty...not

So I know the big discussion has been Courtly Love in our lecture lately. The more I read these stories, the more I am beginning to hate Courtly Love. I don't think every single rule is bad (only about 98% of them) but really, some of them are so over the line and you couldn't pay me to be that way for someone. As I do believe that the mantle is just an object, and doesn't necessarily declare the true love of a couple, it still was crazy to see how quick the knights turned on their wives as if they were pieces of trash (kind of made me giggle). But what these knights didn't think of is that their wives have probably been fooling around with the other knights! I would have enjoyed reading about the knights trying the mantle on. When it comes down to it, everyone is pretty much disloyal in this story. Totally enjoyed reading it though. Props to Saga de Mantle.

2 comments:

  1. its the same way today, men who sleep around are not seen as disloyal or sluts, but if a girl sleeps around she is labled as a slut

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without the one true maiden in this story, it would seem as though all women were unfaithful to their lovers. Like you I think it would be interesting to see which knights could pass this test, and I think it would to find even one seeing as only one woman was faithful, the tigers had to have so,done to be I unfaithful with.

    ReplyDelete