Saturday, March 1, 2014

Sir Gawain the Wonderfully Unimpressive

So about Sir Gawain. I know a big part of chivalry is modesty but in Sir Gawain and The Green Knight Sir Gawain leaves something to be desired. He seems fairly lack luster and as if he's only famous because his uncle is the King. I didn't see his offer to face the Green Knight as bravery so much as a 'someone had to do it' and he wasn't really anyone of value.
He seems to be proving himself to be at least true to his word over the course of his journey. So I guess that's good. He hasn't had much of a chance to prove himself quite yet. He cut off a guy's head, wandered around, and partied a bit. Hopefully the second half proves to be more interesting.
I guess I'm just used to Gawain being the greatest of all knights and doing all these incredible feats and being awesome.
 
The Gawain in this story thus far just kind of seems to be bumbling around, making things up as he goes. I'm just not that impressed.

4 comments:

  1. i totally agree. from what i have heard about Gawain, he is this awesome knight who is above all others. but in the story, as you said, he only stepped up to the challenge because no one else was going to. and he partied more than anything. i'm hoping in the second half he is the knight i have heard about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Goodness! I have read so many books and stories in which Sir Gawain was a big shot up there with Lancelot in his battling and manly valor! So this story was a whole lot different than I was expecting. Gawain was a little disappointing especially when I read that he was lazing around with his hosts wife while he was out hunting for him. I was like "Low blow, Gawain, low blow..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we don't feel impressed because of the values we have discussed in class that we think portray a knight. The first half he may have seemed brave to take the challenge with the Green Knight, but you're right as far as making things up along as he goes. The words partying and knight wouldn't mix well to make me think of him as a leader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, even though I never knew much about Sir. Gawain. He seemed as if he wanted to not let his uncle down, but also to step out of his shadow.

    ReplyDelete