Friday, March 7, 2014

Half-way Through

Half-way through this semester, my views of Arthur have changed slightly. I thought that most stories of Arthur, would actually feature him as a main character as opposed to using him and his court as a stage for other great feats for knights and the court. I also had no idea that there were so many different personalities of Arthur that are very different. I think part of my expectations come from movies in my childhood like Sword and the Stone and  Quest for Camelot where Arthur has Merlin and his magic to guide him; this is not true in most of what we have addressed in this class. I like the new views I have on Arthur and his legends, but after watching Camelot I do prefer Arthur as a great warrior and king as opposed to dependent on Merlin. I also view Guinevere differently after this class; the romantic vibe I felt from her and Lancelot has diminished and now I feel much less friendly to her, seeing as she basically helped destroy the greatness of Camelot and the eventual death or "healing on Avalon" of Arthur.

3 comments:

  1. I, too, was thinking at the beginning of this class that the stories would focus on Arthur more than they have. however, I have enjoyed some of the stories in which he was barely even mentioned

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I kind of like that the stories don't focus on Arthur. Past the whole actually becoming king story he doesn't seem to do much. I am kind of a fan of Gwen though. I know she helped crush Arthur's soul and all that but when she isn't being uselessly romantic I think she's kind of cool. Not sure why. Just a feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was still feeling leftovers from Camelot with this blog post. I feel like before that portrayal of Gwen I really liked her and that turned me off her character for a little while but now I'm feeling more open to having her back in the mix.

      Delete