Wednesday, March 5, 2014

SIR GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNIGHT

Well first off we are starting to use a different book, Le Morte Darthur (ed. Helen Cooper), some people didn't think that it was available in the college book store anymore and that we could get it from amazon. WELL, the bookstore DOES have the book, although only a few copies left.

With that being said, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, SGGK, had an interesting end to it, did it not? Some interesting topics: what was the purpose of the whole test? and did Gawain actually fail? I believe the purpose of the whole test because this story took place when King Arthur was really young and their chivalry was to be tested. Could these young knights prove Morgan Le Fay wrong??? To some degree, yes, they did. Sir Gawain confesses his sins and is only nicked for having a lack of faith. Would I have done the same thing as him? Uh, I wouldn't have gotten myself in this predicament, but if I was so foolish to do so, then yes. I would have a lack of faith and I might not have confessed my sins. Therefore, the Green Knight probably would have cut off my head. And I would be in a coffin in the green chapel probably similar to the one below:

Did Sir Gawain actually fail the test? Yes. That was the purpose of his being nicked on the neck and him wearing the green belt. It is a reminder of what he has done and for him to become a better knight. Then at the end, the belt becomes a sign of honor. Only the Knights of the Round Table can wear them.

Honestly, I don't think anyone else other than Gawain could have done a better job. I know some may say Lancelot, but he probably would have had sex with Bertilak's wife. EVERYONE, even King Arthur, thought Gawain was going to die on this journey. He proved them all wrong and only came back with a nick on the neck??? I'd say that's pretty bad ass. If I was Gawain, I probably never even wanted to make the journey to meet the Green Knight. And if I did, I would've died killing all those trolls and woodland creatures he met along the way. If I didn't die, I would've stopped after the first one. I just would not be able to do the same thing Gawain did. So kudos to him.

3 comments:

  1. I think the other reason why Gawain may not have truly failed the test is that he wasn't beheaded. The only thing he did wrong was make one attempt to save his life. The Green Knight acknowledges that and respects him for it, thus letting him live. If he had slept with his wife, I'm sure his head would've come off real quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree, if Gawain had slept with his wife, he would have died. also, who doesn't flinch when someone is going for your neck with an ax?

      Delete
  2. Gawain taking on this challenge showed inner strength and even though he messed up by using the girdle, he was still there to receive his punishment. We all have those situations where we're almost completely screwed but then something helps us. Still we realize that we need to think clearly the next time. It still amazes me how after he made himself look like a fool that his town praises him when he comes back.

    ReplyDelete