Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Avalon High. A hiatus for your brain.

Every since I was little, I have always loved curling up with a good book filled with drama and just enjoyed my night. With being an English major, it has been so hard to do this lately, however, Meg Cabot's Avalon High, was this perfect book. I am so glad this book was assigned to us, especially this week. My first reaction was, this book when finals are so close and I have so many papers to write this week!!! Oh, NO. However, as soon as I picked this book up, I could not put it down. I mean I had to of course. Bathroom breaks, class, work, but I did not want to put this book down. To be able to read this book and lose oneself in the drama. Not having to think and analyze so much of everything little thing was just the break that I needed. I just had to finish this book, which I did.

I thought this book had some hilarious moments. For example on page 12, Elaine was talking about her father's glasses and if he had lived in medieval times he would have died by falling down a well or something for not being able to see. Cabot wrote, "In fact, in medieval times, he'd probably have been dead by the age of three or four from falling down a well or whatever..." It reminded me of myself, I am blind as a bat and cannot see without my contacts or glasses. I am so glad, probably just like Ellie's dad, that I was not born in those times. I would be with him, down into that well, dead.

Also, when Ellie told Mr. Morton about Will and Jennifer, he was totally shocked. Was I the only who thought that he could be Merlin??? He knew everything that was going to happen. But I was so disappointed in him that he was going to give up. Also, was I the only one who has noticed that Merlin likes to go to the Caribbean when he gets upset??? This is not the first time we've (the reader) has seen this. He has gone to Aruba and the Bahamas so far, if I recall correctly.

I was so dead set that Ellie was the Lady of Shallot. But to be the lady of the Lake?!?!?!?! I feel as surprised as Mr. Morton and her parents. It's pretty cool. Also, I was SO angry with Jennifer and Lance. Yet, happy that Arthur (Will) was relieved and he wasn't the fool like in every other story, where EVERYONE else knew except for him. In this book, I actually do like Lance and Jen. I really feel like she genuinely cares for Will and Lance. You can't help but to fall in love with her character, unlike in the other stories.  Arthur and Elaine or in other words King Arthur and the Lady of the Lake. That's different. Yet they are two powerful people. I never thought of them together before, but in this book, it works. And of course, King Arthur, or Will, is the most loveable person in all the kingdom, or Avalon. And how can I forget Mordred, I mean Marco. He really is totally out of his mind, just crazy. I don't like him so I don't wanna say much about him, but I am glad that the darkness left him at the end and with rehabilitation, Marco can be normal.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like the Lance and Jen story here, is soooo much better than in previous Arthur stories because high school is so much less stress. I think they are cute because Will didn't freak out because its high school. People break up in high school so its less of a big deal and Lance and Jen are nicer about it in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put my feet up with this book over the weekend. It was a little escape from the mountain of work. Plus, I could honestly say "I'm doing homework."

    ReplyDelete