Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Marion Zimmer Bradley, Rant of dislike

     I feel that these readings are a little strange, even for King Arthur readings.  I have not completed the reading for tomorrow's class, so I shall rant about the pages that were due this past Monday.
     I have no quarrels with a women being able to beat me in an activity, especially in an athletic activity.  In high school I ran against a really fast girl, who always won the 800 meter dash.  Recently she had became the world champion in the indoor 800  for women.  So I'm perfectly okay with being beat by anyone who is better than me, but I found it hard to not get a bit agitated by the constant outlandish examples Marion Zimmer Bradley was shoving down my throat.  It is safe to say I do not like this version of the King Arthur story. 
     I'm not sexist and I support women's rights, but I find it a bit ridiculous that Morgaine would be able to beat a knight up the mountain, but then two seconds into seeing Gwenhwyfar she believes she's uber ugly.  Come on that is not even real life.  I understand we should not bring reality into these stories, but it was written by a modern day women and is still farfetched.
      I looked deeper into the story and it has a clear resemblance to Marion Zimmer Bradley's life.  She was born and grew up in a time that women were second class citizens and this book is a triumph to empowering women.  When reading the story all I could think about was the world war two posters "we can do it".  When their husbands went off to war, it was up to the women to run the country.  So I think this time period influenced her and it was show especially when Morgaine was climbing the mountain and showed her legs.  You go Morgaine, you climb that mountain.
     Another reason why I did not like this reading was that she had such contradictions to what she wrote.  Marion Zimmer Bradley talks about empowering women and that a women does not need a man, but that she comes back around and makes the goddess the epitome of beauty.  I know we had talked about this in class, but it still frustrates me that a women in power isn't looked past her beauty.
     Sorry if I offend anyone, but I honestly did not like this reading.  

5 comments:

  1. I disagree, to say that someone can't be physically active yet think that they are ugly at the same time it possible and is real life. It happens all the time, you just aren't aware of it because you are a man. With that said I am not making the notion that I know all about it. On the other hand I do agree and I did not like the reading because she was a feminist writer and Morgaine is only seen for her beauty, which is sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think my gender plays into my understanding of feelings. I know that people can be insecure about their physical beauty. I was upset that the texts describes her as beautiful and active, but then immediately upon seeing someone more beautiful she goes into a weeping fit. This was all over a small child. That is what I was upset about.

      Delete
  2. I thought the contradictions were very extreme; Morgaine began by thinking she was beautiful when Galahad/Lancelet saw her and then a second later believed otherwise. As a woman I will admit I have done this as well but I think having it happen consistently and at the hands of a small weeping child took a bit to far. I would not say it made me dislike the reading but it definitely took away from it a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course Morgaine could beat him up the mountain! First, Lancelot admitted to spending too much time on horseback. With all of his heavy sword swinging, perhaps he shouldn't have been winded. Morgaine was use to the terrain and conditioned for the climbing. I use to work with a female athlete named Stephanie--110 pounds of muscle. Her sport was rock climbing-- she was like a human fly. Male or female, few could out climb her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree and disagree. It's annoying that Morgaine, who is this great priestess and lady, can be torn down so completely by herself. She beats a knight up the mountain, and that's awesome, like seriously, go Morgaine. It's just sad to see this feminist icon so totally ruin herself over her appearance. This is a fantastic person and a female character who is actually character (actually written by a woman to boot) and she is (once again) reduced to her physical appearance. I just think that's crappy but I also see it every day.

    ReplyDelete