Sunday, April 20, 2014

Knight LIfe: Yet Another Gwen

I’m curious what other people think of Knight Life’s Gwen.  Of all of our readings this semester, Peter David’s Gwen is my least favorite version of her.  David’s Gwen is a sneaky, not too bright, liar. "Adultery Gwen" is not nearly as annoying as duplicitous, in league with the enemy, Gwen.   Gwen’s dialog  makes her sound a little dim with “you guys” and “y’knows.”  Morgana dupes Gwen into being a distraction and knowing participant in yet another act of betrayal.


“Aging backwards” Merlin is okay but scaly monsters magically disguised as waiters?  This book reminds me of a Kinky Friedman novel.  Or better yet, Art Penn running for mayor is sort of like the real life Kinky Friedman running for governor of Texas in 2006. Now, Friedman is running for the Agriculture Commissioner of Texas. If you add together Will Rogers, Raymond Chandler, pot smoking, cigars, an acoustic guitar, and a shot of tequila  you'd get something that sounds and looks like Kinky Friedman.  Friedman is a novelist, a musician (Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys), and a politician.  Kinky Friedman has a  line of merchandise and is a master of self-promotion.  Many of Friedman's You Tube clips contain offensive language. 

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree Ruth. As I said in class, I really dislike this Gwen and Morgan. I feel the author does not do the characters justice, they are rather flat and sound stupid whenever they have dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that Morgans and Gwen were really flat and were made to sound stupid. I did not like these two in this story

    ReplyDelete