Sunday, April 20, 2014

Knight Life

Knight Life

So this book, It took me awhile to figure out what exactly was going on, maybe something was said in class on Wednesday or maybe not. Anyway, I really liked this reading after I got over my initial dilemma.

My dilemma was trying to just get a grip on how all these people were in New York anyway, centuries after Arthur. Admittedly, I did skip over the cover which helped a bit with it but my thought process still developed after that.  At first I thought, "well, there is magic so who knows, maybe Merlin was just doing an experiment and took them all to that time period?" When I re-read the cover and canned that idea, next thought was that Arthur returned from Avalon and this is where he ended up, then I realized how would Gwen and Percival be there. So I ended up just giving up on trying to make a tie back to the other stories we read and move on, which I should have done in the first place.

I personally loved this reading! The portrayal of Merlin is what took me the most. Maybe I just needed a good laugh this weekend or something but his mix of useful help to his crazy philosophical talk (anyone else laugh when he talked about the bagel?).

I think maybe this was just a change of pace or something, but this reading was really refreshing. Really looking forward to talking about it in class and hearing everyone else's opinions!



Post 2 of 5

3 comments:

  1. I also had a hard time picturing King Arthur running for mayor in New York City. Like why didn't he stay over in Britain where he is from ? I had a hard time making this connection as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reading was confusing to me as well until things were clarified in class. I have to read a lot of scientific research papers that there's really no hope of understanding completely, so I've learned that sometimes you just have to go with it and read on. But honestly this was just a weird text in general so that made it more confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me a while to get on board with why they were all in New York (and alive at all). The bagel part made me laugh hysterically. It was just so random and unexpected. Which this book does more than once and I kind of appreciate that. The other stories we've read all seems so heavy and this book (even with it's demons and kidnapping of sassy-kid Merlin) manages to keep things light. Of course that may just be the ridiculous nature of the whole situation.

    ReplyDelete