Thursday, April 17, 2014

Late Night Thoughts/FanFiction, Holt


Now that we have finished the Mist of Avalon, I was once again fascinated at getting a different perspective in which the women portrayed were the main focus even though Arthur was involved.  To me, it was interesting to see the female characters actually have a lead story built in besides Guinevere (even though she was included too). I do like change ups in story and this shed some new light as to how what the women were saying and thinking during that time. It was good to be in their shoes for once instead of being in the knights’ the whole time. Even coming through a guy’s point of view, I’ve wondered at times during some of the past readings what possibly could have been going through some of the maiden’s head.  When combined feminism with the Mist of Avalon, the part when Lancelot doubted Morgaine could climb the Tor because of her skirt really stuck in my head. Her best quote was “…surely men know that women have legs like their own. It cannot be so much of an offense of modesty to see what they must be able to imagine.”  I think this was the perfect quote to compare when talking about the ideas of feminist.  Morgaine wasn’t afraid to get rough and dirty as all maidens are supposed to have some moral of staying clean and proper for their men. Lancelot was surprised that she was out of the ordinary, but men today are shocked how women can do the same things men can do, even better. I am interested in reading Knight Life. I am looking forward to the kid-type merlin and a 1980’s Arthur running for mayor.

Unlike everyone in class, I thought the ritual of the hunting of the dear was stranger than the incest between Arthur and Morgaine.  It took me a while to realize that Morgaine was under the influence of something (basically drugs). However, the whole process of hunting the deer had me a bit lost until I read further and with a little more assistance in class.
http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5780251_f260.jpg
 
When we discussed fan fiction, I didn’t quite understand what it was until I investigated it further. I had an idea of what it was but my perception was a little off.  There is actually a site: www.fanfiction.net in which you can see all types of genres based on shows, games, movies, etc. All fan fiction. Some of the stories are so detailed to add an extra storyline to what has already been conceived.  It is crazy how people can carry on with such an imagination with their favorite novels or movies. I always thought of fan fiction for TV shows were related to spin off shows. For example “Breaking Bad” was a television show, but they are doing a spin off show concentrating on Saul “Better Call Saul” could this be a fan fiction? I don’t know how spin offs work but that’s what’d I’d imagine a fan fiction to be.

2 comments:

  1. I'd heard about fan fiction but have yet to read any. There is so much of it out there. Dr. MB's lecture on fan fiction prompted me to look up Henry Jenkins' books and his blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. …surely men know that women have legs like their own. It cannot be so much of an offense of modesty to see what they must be able to imagine.”

    ^ I loved that quote. Like what is "modesty" and yeah, would they not imagine that women have legs? I love that Morgaine really was pointing out the unfair, societal expectations of her-even her being a priestess.

    ReplyDelete