Thursday, April 17, 2014

MIsts of Avalon... WHAT?

As I read Mists of Avalon, both sections, the word "what?" crossed my mind quite a few times. I said what about their religion because I did not understand it and I was interested. That was not a bad what, especially when there were many more whats to come. I was very confused and said what about Galahad deciding that he wanted to change his name. I was completely thrown by that change and I did not like it. I saw the necessity of it to show that Galahad was no longer a part of Avalon.The first reading did not have me saying what as much as the second set. When I began the second section I was nervous, already questioning the reading  I was getting ready to read. As I started and the ritual was explained I was like "what the heck", I definitely wanted to stop reading after that but I knew I had to keep going. As Morgaine was painted and "probed" I was definitely starting to feel uncomfortable. This reading succeeded in continually being uncomfortable; from Morgaine and Arthur sleeping together to Arthur bringing it up again. When Arthur and Morgaine slept together for the second time it was so awkward and I was questioning every single thing that was happening. I was talking to the reading like I talk to the TV. "Why don't you know your sister! Why do you want to sleep together, its your sister! STOP! STOP! STOP!" I got over it long enough to finish the reading but I was still completely weirded out and questioning Viviane more than anyone. Arthur only made everything worse when he told Morgaine he would always love her and would always remember her as his first time; before he realized it was Morgaine it was awkward, the second time it was agonizing to read. I was talking to Arthur and it was like in movies when you "say go in there" I was telling him "close your mouth, stop talking" This was my biggest question and I was completely done with this reading. My "WHAT" was so far gone that there was no point in even trying to figure anything out or questioning it because there was too many questions and no answers to make me feel better.

This is 3 of 5

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you, Nicole. I was so flabbergasted by this entire reading that once I was finished all I could do was close my laptop screen and stare dumbly at the wall behind it. Why is this a thing? This is not ok. I am so uncomfortable with this. In fact, I am so weirded out that I don't know how to make myself comfortable again. (If coffee didn't help, what will?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree, Nicole. Even though the incest wasn't as much of a shock because it is common in Game of Thrones and certainly accurate in that time frame of history, the second time Arthur and Morgaine did the dirty made me go "realllllly, c'mon". I agree with our professor that the detailed depiction of the body painting and the hunting of the deer was a bit strange for my taste. An interesting read, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was waiting for a "Game of Thrones" comment....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see how you'd feel this way; a short story of incest can definitely make one uncomfortable. But are we surprised that this happened?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Amanda. We knew this was coming and I actually think this was a really excellent way of portraying the story. I think it removes a lot of the random "Morgan tricked Arthur into sleeping with her for the fun of it" and gives a meaning to the incest, despite our distaste for it.

    ReplyDelete