Monday, April 14, 2014

“Leggo my Ego,” said Lancelet.

If the first excerpt from The Mists of Avalon were a music video, it would basically be for the song called The Worst by Jhene Aiko (not my typical choice, but Pandora plays it). Essentially, in the song (for those of you that don’t know it), the female singer is fighting an internal battle about loving a dude that she shouldn’t love. She repeats that she doesn’t need him, but admits that she wants him anyway, which kind of shines a light on the feminist/not-so-feminist scenes we highlighted in class. Although this song probably isn’t focusing on the empowerment of women and being independent from men, it’s still the song that came to mind while I was reading.
            I don’t really identify as a feminist, but I do appreciate reading about a sharp-tongued woman who socks it to an arrogant guy. Guys, don’t get offended; I’m sorry other dudes before you pushed an egotistical predisposition on you, but it’s awesome when a woman proves a narcissistic man wrong, especially when they prove to be more physically capable. You go ahead Morgaine with your bare legs and muscular endurance.
            I have a problem with how Morgaine handles herself in this passage, though. She’s supposed to be a strong, independent priestess who doesn’t need a man to complete her. But wait, she’ll completely lose her shit when Gwenhwyfar creates some competition for the man she shouldn’t even be in love with. She needs to hike up those skirts to fight that war going on in her head. I do feel bad for Morgaine, but I don’t. She’s all about saving herself for when the time is right, but she entertained the thought of ruining that for a guy that doesn’t even see her as an equal. I’m glad Gwenhwyfar came along because that moment brought Morgaine back to reality and her original morals of being a priestess. I guess everyone deserves a little temptation and false hope.

This is 2 of 5

4 comments:

  1. I agree that she shouldn't care about a guy who doesn't see her as an equal to him especially if she is demonstrating she is strong and independent because that it contradicting her character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true about Morgaine's morals about being a priestess! But I wonder if she really wants to be one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she wants to be a priestess for the title and associations with it, but deep down she wishes there was another way to have that reputation and have what she wants. We all know we can't have our cake and eat it too... unless it's your birthday... maybe.

      Delete
  3. I agree I really like the fact that Morgaine has a sharp mouth to Lancelet because it's about damn time the women of King Arthur get some respect and shown for what they do for the kingdom and who they are important

    ReplyDelete