Monday, April 14, 2014

Versions of Arthur Concluded, Holt


Before we move onto the Mists of Avalon, I’d like to conclude my thoughts on the age difference found from our past readings to T.H. White’s version of King Arthur.  With our presentation on “The Sword in the Stone” and T.H. White’s version of the young Arthur or ‘Wart’, we get a new perspective of Arthur in his very younger days.  He was very scrawny and naïve to most of his surroundings.  Comparing this to previous versions of Arthur where we didn’t even get to experience him as a child. I think seeing Arthur’s up and comings were a great new way of understanding Arthur and even if they are told in different versions, we’ve come to notice different tales told in a variety of versions (i.e. Dracula). It was also interesting to see Merlin in a new light. As discussed in class as previously reading being the son of the Devil, Merlin is just as real as you or me, except his a powerful magician with a tremendous beard. I enjoyed Merlin’s silly approach to things in the story, as well as Arthurs. It was a lot better than the serious Merlin in the early readings who predicted everyone’s death.   Also seeing the difference between a clean and organized Merlin (Death of Arthur) rather than a disorganized messy Merlin (Once and Future). 

Overall I felt that the “Once and Future King” version of Arthur gave me a better perspective at a more ‘real-er’ version of him. Hearing a godlier version of him in the “Death of Arthur” books felt a little too overwhelming even though the things he did were pretty badass.  I felt that the version in T.H. White’s version was more relatable only for the fact that he seemed more human and seeing him grow from a thin boy to a king, we could see his uprising and how he changed the throne and led the knights of the roundtable.  As I said in class, if I could have the best of both books combined into one Arthur, I would have envisioned my Arthur as the Aragorn type in which he had a personality, feelings, and could lead an army of undead.
-J.H

https://global3.memecdn.com/truth_gp_467865.jpg


http://arwen-undomiel.com/images/aragorn/Aragorn_poster_3.jpg

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you! I think seeing him as the scrawny, yet loving and curious Wart would have made it all the more impressive to see him with such power as an adult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was introduced to Merlin from Disneys version of "sword in the stone" and always imagined him to be this funny old man who was really kind and showed arthur the ways of the world... Who also happened to be a badass magician. Reading "prose Merlin" I was surprised to see this wildman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who predicted every bodies deaths. He's a much more serious character, which I think demonstrates how serious people took magic and sorcery in the Middle Ages. If I met the historic Merlin, I would likely run away in fear and then suffer a threefold death

    ReplyDelete