Monday, April 14, 2014

The Sword in the Stone

I really enjoyed this reading, mainly because it went to a completely different time period of King Arthur's life. We're so used to seeing him as the mighty king and him as an older man but never really saw where he started. I remember seeing the movie as a child and I like how it was made so young children could understand it. Most of the stories are intense so it was nice to have a
little bit of relief and a story that was about King Arthur's growth. I found a little bit of comedy in it as well so that was nice instead of being angry that someone is cheating or that there is a load of violence going on. Personally, I think this movie was made for kids because it sends out a powerful message saying that you really can be anything you want to be, as corny as it sounds. King Arthur was technically looked at as he was not meant to become a King. He had to work very hard to get his title and learn much on his own.Younger children can become discouraged easily so I think it's good to have a movie with such a powerful message. Merlin demonstrated such a good role model and a source of guidance. I gained much respect for him throughout this story.

3 comments:

  1. I always wondered how King Arthur got his start and watching The Sword in the Stone really put it in perspective how he got his power. I also think that doing the movie as a cartoon for kids made it easier to understand the story line of how King Arthur became who he is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even in the movies we have seen< Arthur is either introduced young and then skips ahead in time to when he is older or he is introduced to us already an older man. So I loved this reading as well because of the depiction of Arthur as a kid

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how in TOAFK Merlin acts as Arthur's tutor. Many of the earlier stories, such as the Romances of Cretian de Troyes, use Camelot as a starting point for the chivalric tales of Arthur's knights. This story paints Arthur Asa. Real human being who has to learn how to rule and is taught values which conflict with the current status quo. I think that this makes Arthur much more accessible to us readers, and without a doubt TOAFK was one of my favorite books in middle and high school

    ReplyDelete