Monday, April 14, 2014

The Passing of Arthur (1/5)


      I know that this is late, however, I've been having trouble with the website, so bear with me as I catch up. Lord Alfred Tennyson's poem "The Passing of Arthur", though beautifully crafted, nearly made my heart break. Personally, I love anything that has to do with the romance and magic that is associated with the Arthurian time period, and this ending of the legend left me curled up in bed with a mug of coffee and Disney's "The Sword in the Stone". Does anyone else feel this strongly, or is it just me? Even if you don't share my love for this time period, anyone with eyes can appreciate how beautifully this poem is written. One particular set of lines that drew my attention was "As from beyond the limit of the world/Like the last echo born of a great cry/Sounds, as if some fair city were one voice/Around a king returning from his wars" (Lines 288-292). I found these lines very interesting because the first line in this stanza almost makes an allusion that Arthur is leaving this world, not merely dying, and going to heaven after the long, violent years on Earth. After all, where else would Arthur go? He was the greatest Christian king ever recorded. Did anyone else wonder if he would become some high powered official (if they even have those), in heaven? Food for thought...

    Another line that I found interesting was "And the new sun rose bringing the new year" (Line 300). Though we did talk about this particular line in class, I can't help but wonder why or what caused the end of this era. Was it because Arthur was such a great king that there was no way anyone else could fill his shoes, or was it because God decided it was time for the world to move on to a new era? As someone who is really not religious in even the slightest of ways, I tend to lean towards option one. However, if option two is correct, what a fascinating book that could be!



4 comments:

  1. The poem is written beautifully, and I myself love the romance stories during the Arthurian period. Even though many of them aren't very loyal, I still get excited to read about it and I like reading a little but of drama. I think we discussed that line in class and it was mentioned that maybe it was time for a change and that change is sometimes needed to progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Arthur's era had to come to an end because people were running out of entertainment ideas and starting to starve since dinner wasn't served until some random act showed up. Haha maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved these poems as well, and resented the literal questions in class! I took the end of the line as a, "to be continued," but this could merely be the tip of the iceberg! This seems to be the kind of poem where you can get something completely different each time you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome. I do like this poem as well. I like how at the end we are left with the image of the boat disappearing into the horizon.

    ReplyDelete