Sunday, April 13, 2014

Feelings about Arthur

I am really looking forward to the readings next week. Ever since we read Idylls of the King, I have wanted to read what really happened to Arthur. Now that I know we are going to be reading about him next week, I am really excited.
When I was growing up, I thought of the Holy Grail and Merlin when I heard King Arthur. I also thought about Arthur pulling the sword from the stone. That is why I loved the readings from Book 1 in White's book. The details of Merlin's house painted a real life picture inside my head (although the long paragraph that detailed it was a little annoying). It was also nice to see an interaction between Merlin and Arthur for more than a few paragraphs. And the way Merlin is portrayed in this story is the way I have always thought of him. He is the guy who has things from the future, the guy who has moving furniture and dishes, who has a talking owl and glasses, and who is a tutor to Arthur. 
Also, growing up, I was under the impression that Arthur receives only one sword which is the sword that he pulls from the stone. But after taking this class I come to find out that there are two swords that are obtained in two different ways. 

1 comment:

  1. I to growing up always thought of Arthur pulling the sword from the stone and Merlin being involved with King Arthur.

    ReplyDelete