Monday, April 21, 2014

The Lady of Shalott (But kind of also Anne of Green Gables)


I know we've kind of moved on from "The Lady of Shalott" but I totally forgot to post this a week ago so you get it now. So bear with me? 

So for me "The Lady of Shalott" will forever (and always) be Megan Fellows in a sinking boat. This was my first introduction to the poem and, if I really think about it,  it was probably my first introduction to King Arthur as well. I've been watching Anne of Green Gables since before I could speak. I'm not sure anything Arthurian can pre-date that. At least in my life. 




"The Lady of Shalott" has since become one of the few poems I could stand (I am very much not a poetry person). Admittedly I'm not sure I fully understood its meaning until this class. I guess I always understood that she died in the end but it never really hit me why. I knew there was a curse but I don't think I realized that the reason it was set off was because she looked away from her weaving.

Elaine seems now to just be tragic to me. She was trapped by this curse and for who-knows-how-long she faithfully weaves away. Then one bit of light comes into her life and she just has to turn away from his dirty old mirror? She finally gets something that could be good and the curse takes effect. (I'm not saying Lancelot would be good for Elaine, we learned from the book that he really isn't, I'm just saying he's an opportunity.)

She seems so dutiful as she gets ready to die. It doesn't feel like the curse is doing anything to her physically. She ends up freezing to death for pete's sake. But never the less she gets the boat all prepped and writes her name on the side. I think she does it so that someone, anyone, will know who she is. Not to scare them, just so she can be remembered. Then she gets in the boat, in a rain storm, in a white dress, and sets off. (Really Elaine? Does now seem like the best time for a white dress?)

When she finally reaches Camelot (dead) most everyone is afraid of her and Lancelot just says 'eh she wasn't ugly'. This is the man she died for (whether or not either of them know it) and he is utterly indifferent to her. It's just heartbreaking.

Anyway that's it for me. Sorry this is so unbelievably out of date.

She's going to smash a slate over his
head in less than a minute. 
And oh look! They
got married! 
Disclaimer: Gilbert Blythe (who rescues her at the end of the video) may appear perfect. Try not to fall in love with him. He's basically the greatest ever and everything Lancelot wishes he could be. Things end a little better for Anne and Gil. (These two were basically the power couple of my childhood and I adore everything they do.)

2 comments:

  1. I had a really hard time picturing Arthur running for Mayor, let alone running for Mayor in New York City. It just seems unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love this poem by Tennyson. I really think it captures the beauty and tragedy of this time period.

    ReplyDelete