Monday, April 21, 2014

Knight Life

I actually found myself weirdly liking this book. I know we didn't read all of it (we so don't have the time for that)  but I think we managed to get a general feel for the book.
It's a totally ridiculous setting for a King Arthur story but it also seemed to work. While I think it's bizarre (even with today's explanation) that Arthur would not run for an office in his own damn country, I guess New York is as good a place as any for a man with no believable history to start over. And then immediately run for office. Plot holes. So many plot holes.

I think the biggest problem I have with this story is probably Gwen. I can accept Arthur's nonsensical run for office and the fact that he knows nothing about politics or society. I can accept a reverse aging Merlin and scaly demon people. I'm just so fed up with lame, bitchy, treasonous renditions of Gwen.
.                                                           
This is my Gwen. I'll admit it. I think she's one of the best renditions of Gwen ever to be presented. As such I have trouble accepting other versions at times. I understand that the Gwen/Lance love story will always be a thing, although the lack of it in Merlin and therefore the lack of it in Angel Coulby's portrayal may play a part of why I love her so much. This Gwen is brave, smart, beautiful, and loyal. She makes mistakes but she's humble and is always willing to figure her shit out. The Gwen in this book (who unfortunately has been given Angel Coulby's face by my mind) is mediocre at best. And then, seemingly out of no where (who knows what happens in the missing pages) she betrays Arthur for Morgaine of all people? Where did that come from? (I suppose it probably has something to do with Lance but we know nothing about him).

Book Gwen, "Gwen Queen" as if that isn't the most obvious name ever seems like she was dropped into the campaign and is basically a coffee fetcher. Which is so totally uninspiring. She gets one good speech about politics and it's ruined by her tendency to talk "like one of the guys". She's a woman who is clearly being written by a man and it's boring and not very believable.

Sassy nine year old Merlin (who's presence no one seems to question?) is more believable in this campaign than Gwen is. Which, while hilarious, is frankly unfair.

Why is no one questioning the presence of this on the campaign? 
Furthermore, why is no one questioning it when he suddenly disappears!
The book makes me laugh, especially the whole bagel thing (and one other section that I'm totally forgetting) but it also is ridiculous and filled with plot holes and totally uninspiring female characters. So that's my thoughts. Sorry for the two posts in one day thing. That's obnoxious of me.

2 comments:

  1. It is so frustrating to me that no one else notices the fact that a nine year old is missing, I mean, how does he even travel around by himself without people questioning it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right? Is no one even pretending to be his legal guardian? Or to give a crap about him? I mean in the most basic sense, how do Arthur opponents not use Merlin's mere existence as a smear campaign? A child going missing (at an Arthur campaign event, no less) would be prime material for them to use against him. And yet. Nothing. No one gives a damn.

    ReplyDelete