Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Squirrel of Shalott

So, my group was assigned the movie The Sword in the Stone to present on. Today, I decided to rewatch it and while watching it, I noticed a parallel between "Hazel" the squirrel and the Lady of Shalott. Although, I don't know whether or not she dies -although it eventually will happen- she reminds me of the Lady that spent her days weaving. During one part of the movie she runs up a tree and into a borrow in it, while watching this it really made me think of how the fair maiden spent her days weaving up in the castle.
Looking for love with Hazel
This was really cool to think about because in the scene prior Hazel was all over Arthur, and quickly fell in love with him. This for me also parallels The Lady of Shalott because when the Lady saw Lancelot she quickly fell in love with him and because of if eventually brought about her own death. I won't go as far to say the Hazel brought on her own death by falling for Arthur, but the parallels between the two events are really interesting to see, whether or not they were on purpose of not.

2 comments:

  1. It's true that knights have captured the hearts of many women, partly because they are expected to be pleasing. I'm sure the makers of this movie knew this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me laugh--I was not expecting the squirrel!

    ReplyDelete