Thursday, May 1, 2014

End of the year post

Now that the class is over, I'd like to reflect on what we've learned throughout the semester. First off, I think that these readings not only provided some entertainment, but also taught real life lessons. Throughout all of the stories there was much betrayal between numerous characters, crazy random events, and some heart warming moments. As far as betrayal, that would be the cheating that went on between just about everyone (especially once we read Saga de Mantle). This proves that even the ones who are closest to you can hurt you and aren't the person you believe they are.  When the Green Knight appeared, and Gawain stepped up to take the challenge it showed bravery (before the end of the story). I feel that this could be a lesson saying that you just have to stand up for what's right sometimes, especially when it's something bigger than yourself. Lastly, I take King Arthur and Merlin's relationship as a bundle of heart warming moments. Merlin helped Arthur grow since he was a child and the fact that he stuck by Arthur's side the whole way shows that there are true best friends out there. Mostly everyone turned on each other so it was nice to know that at least 2 people remained loyal and close. I enjoyed this class and the different style of reading. Not everyday that I get to read stories during the medieval time era. I feel that I am leaving with not only some knowledge about King Arthur that I can discuss at cocktail parties like we said in class, but also a meaningful touch from all of them as well.

4 comments:

  1. I really like this post. I think it speaks to why King Arthur is still relevant in our culture. The original King Arthur was based upon a bunch of celtic leaders fighting the Saxons, and it's amazing how much the story has evolved and adapted to changing attitudes and world views. If there was no life lessons to be found, I don't think people would continue reading it. An example would be TH White using the world of Arthur partly as an analogy for hitler and nazi Germany. I think arthur will continue to be a cultural icon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jay. I think that the fascination we have with anything to do with Arthurian legend will continue rather than diminish. I think what people like best is the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, this class has left me with the same thoughts. I enjoyed reading something that I don't typically read, so it was refreshing in a way if you look past some of the scenes we had to tolerate. It's a coincidence that Dr. MB mentioned using what we gained from this class as discussion at cocktail parties because that happens to be what I put on the course evaluation for why I took this class (kidding, but wish I had).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree, I think anything to do with Arthurian legend or medieval time will never diminish. Medieval Knight dinners will still be an entertaining dinner show and Medieval festivals will still flourish the areas because people are just that into it. Anytime I would think of anything Medieval, King Arthur will always come to mind, just like whenever people think about WWII, they think about the holocaust or Pearl Harbor. It will always be embedded in us as apart of history.

    ReplyDelete