Thursday, May 1, 2014

I love a man in uniform, but I love Chipotle more

            Arthur is lucky he didn’t have to deal with technology. The score for this week so far is Week: 27594, Me:0. This post was supposed to go out Sunday night, but my laptop crashed, and I’m the person that types these in Word before posting. Consequently, I couldn’t get to this file. It all went downhill after I watched the episodes for Arthur goes to Hollywood on the sketchiest website of my life... I’m not saying that was the reason it crashed, but I’m just saying. Anyway, on to what’s really important in the world of Arthur (sorry for the tangent).
Clearly everyone has that cliché couple in high school, but for me it was really weird because the popular guy in my school was named Will, had dark hair, and eyes the color of perfectly chlorinated pools. His girlfriend wasn’t named Jennifer, but she was cheating on him. I’m proud to say I was not Elle in this situation because I wasn’t all hot and bothered when the guy talked to me. I fan girl over more important things like some delicious Chipotle for dinner. However, I didn’t live in Annapolis, but I did go to a school in southern Maryland where many “navy brats” attended since there is a big naval base there.  Depending on the time of day, there would be various members of the armed forces either driving next to you or standing in line to order their lunch from Chick-fil-a. I’m not sure where I was going with this, but basically the characters of Avalon High were forms of my friends back home.
Aside from these connections, I found this book really annoying mostly because stereotypical high school girls are annoying to me, but also because Marco gets on my nerves about as much as teenage girls do. The only good characteristic of this book was that it was lacking in incest sex scenes, so it was more lighthearted. The wtf moments didn’t occur because of something testing the strength of your stomach, instead they were due to the questioning of a character’s thought process, or lack thereof. I did enjoy the mindless break this reading gave me, though. I was starting to lose myself in the intense readings, especially poems. Avalon High is far from one of my favorite readings this semester, but I am thankful for it being implemented last in the semester because God knows we all needed an easier read this far into the semester. Thank you Dr. MB.

4 of 5

4 comments:

  1. I never made the connection between Southern MD and Avalon High but as soon as you brought up Pax River I realized the connection and how it related on the naval base with CHS having a lot navy kids too. Thanks for the cool connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have come up with that, being a native Virginian. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I would have taken overly dramatic teens over incest any day. I really did like the poem connection of The Lady of Shalott. I thought that was a little clever feature the Cabot brought to the readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Kellen I like how this post reads, very sarcastic. And that is extremely weird that it applies so much to your hometown! And I agree Avalon High definitely was not the best book we covered in class.

    ReplyDelete