Saturday, February 8, 2014

Kennedy's Camelot



A Modern Camelot: The Kennedy Brothers

When I hear or think about the word "Camelot" I immediately think "Kennedy."  The Kennedy family has often been associated with the  legendary Camelot.  The men were attractive, young, influential, and charismatic. The women and children were beautiful.   President Kennedy and the first family were certainly photogenic. Did the Kennedy's hold the keys to the kingdom for a while--a modern Camelot?  Some people would say "yes."  Others might call the Kennedy Camelot a piece of Madison Avenue myth making.  Christopher Snyder's statement "Like all myths it contains truths, though not usually literal ones" (The World of King Arthur) might be applied to Kennedy's Camelot, the  presidency and the political activism of his brothers.   




"Creating Camelot," is an exhibit at the Newseum, on display until March 16, 2014.  The show features the photography of Jacques Lowe, personal photographer of President John F. Kennedy.  How are legends made?  Photographs are one way to create visual narratives and lasting impressions that shape history.  

Jacques Lowe's photographs helped construct a romanticized portrait of a president and his family.  In contemporary society there are many ways to create, reproduce, and spread stories, images, and  impressions. Archiving information, documenting history or creating myths, has never been easier with modern technology.   When people hear the phrase "going viral," they do not associate it with influenza epidemics.  In King Arthur's day, it was the bard or storyteller that carried news or fashioned a captivating tale.  Stories traveled by foot, horse, and ships--a slower pace then today's news. 

Where is the truth in a story if it is not literal?  Whether it is a 20th century president or a 6th century king, the pictures, emotions, and embellishments of the storyteller might actually be closer to the truth then a dry listing of facts. Here is an example of literal truth and truth.  Looking at the itemized, paper receipt of groceries bought with food stamps is a true record of poverty.  However, the grocery receipt is not as powerful a picture as my friend Gary's story.  He once told me he didn't like coffee because "As a kid I was left alone for the weekend.  The only thing in the house to eat was a jar of instant coffee crystals." Gary's family had bouts of underemployment.  It is true that instant coffee will not feed a child's hungry belly.  Both the receipt and Gary's instant coffee indicate true things; but only one truth is an indelible story from over thirty years ago. 

Maybe, as suggested by Christopher Snyder,  the truth  of the Arthur's Camelot is about what makes a virtuous king,  or the beginnings of a national identity, or the romantic vision of an ideal place and time.  Perhaps  the same could be said for Kennedy's Camelot captured in the photographs by Jacques Lowe on display at the Newseum.



4 comments:

  1. I loved this post. I was working on my influence map at my mom's house, and she asked me if I was putting the Kennedy's on my map. I gave her a strange look, and told her that I had no idea why I would. She was horrified, and went on this whole big explanation about the Kennedy Administration and Camelot.

    I have to say, I found the idea of it kind of interesting. A modern day Arthur, and making the White House into a beautiful "castle". It's amazing that people held a President, who had both successes and scandals, to the same values and ideals as a legendary king, and made our Nation's capitol equivalent to Camelot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not put Kennedy on my influence map, but I made the connection with Kennedy as well, though I would probably say I look at Jackie in a way that is like a queen. I get the refereces to Kennedy's Camelot coming from Jackie and her regal demeanor. I think you're take on it and the inclusion of this video was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not put Kennedy on my influence map, but I made the connection with Kennedy as well, though I would probably say I look at Jackie in a way that is like a queen. I get the refereces to Kennedy's Camelot coming from Jackie and her regal demeanor. I think you're take on it and the inclusion of this video was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it very interesting that the public began using the Camelot reference after Kennedy had been assassinated, not while he was in office. Funny how people are always so retrospective in that way. Would have been a great campaign slogan, yet instead it becomes a reference to a society's longing for what it lost.

    ReplyDelete