Friday, February 7, 2014

The Attempt to Disillusion Me

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32900000
King-Arthur-arthur-and-gwen-32900096-500-661.jpg

What characteristics come to mind when thinking of King Arthur? Who is he as not just a King, but as a man? For me, I envision someone who is courageous and brave, which he demonstrates through the different battles he fights. He believes in fairness and equality, which is represented through the idea of the Round Table, where no one sits at the head of the table making all the Knights equal. He's a protector of his people, and as a result he has earned their respect, loyalty, and love.

Arthur is the ideal King. He is symbolic of what other Monarchs should strive to be like. He is a King who does not just cares for his people in words, but serves them in action. I think that has a lot to do with King Arthur's appeal. He seems to base his decisions on what he truly believes is in the best interest of his people and his kingdom before anything else. His actions and behaviors makes him the type leader people wish they have.

Our text, from last week, tried to disillusion me, and, thanks to Dr. Mitchell-Buck's underlining, I noticed it.  In our Who Was Arthur reading from Snyder, there was a very brief description of Arthur as a "tyrannical monarch" (15). One of the OED definitions of a tyrant is "a ruler who exercises his power in an oppressive, unjust, or cruel manner", so I never imagined King Arthur in this role.  The description in the reading actually shocked me because it was so far from the ideas of what I have had about Arthur as a King.

The Most Menacing Picture of King Arthur I could Find
http://images.rtsguru.com/articles/images/2000/1386/KA.jpg
Yes, I am aware that my ideas were naive. Most rulers will have someone, somewhere who has the perspective that they are an unfair, I just never pictured it with King Arthur. However, I guess on reflecting on it, Arthur, was a King and he was a ruler. Not everyone can be happy, and someone is going to be his enemy or someone in his kingdom is going to be suffering somehow like from hunger or poverty.

                                           My other favorite Monty Python Moment
                                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

Maybe King Arthur was not the perfect King in all his stories that I have imagined, but the idea of being a tyrant is not comforting one. I like the idea of Arthur being a model of a good king. Even if he makes mistake, I like the fact that that he considers the people around him, and I do not picture a tyrant doing that. There are big differences in the images I have of King Arthur and images of tyrants. I want to keep some of those ideas I have of Arthur being good because there is a big difference from the Arthur above, with a storm around him and blood dripping off his sword, and this…
http://static.tumblr.com/cwwlyeu/8LJlufqo8/tumblr_ltfnntuxnt1qb5ym2o1_500.gif

1 comment:

  1. According to Aristotle, the best form of government is a kingship. The good king would have absolute authority but exhibit virtues like benevolence, magnanimity, generosity, bravery, temperance, etc. In a feudal system, the king or lord would be responsible for the welfare and flourishing of all of the people under his authority. The tyrant would have absolute authority but would be vicious, full of vices, and immoral behavior. Over the semester, I'm betting we will have a chance to cast our vote. Is Arthur a model of virtue or vice? What form of government we value may determine what we think about kingly powers.

    ReplyDelete