Friday, May 2, 2014

End of the Year blog.



     This one might actually be heart felt and nice, instead of bashing and offending people.   I feel that I have learned so much in this class.  I anticipated that I was going to be able to coast through, because I had prior knowledge of Arthurian legend, but through the readings, my knowledge had grown.  I feel as if I have also grown.  I wasn’t sure about blogging, but now I kind of like it.  It allows me to be sassy and informal, and actually get credit while doing it. There are so many different types of Arthur's and Lancelot’s, but no matter what we read, or even watch, Monty pythons Holy Grail is all I can think about.  How appropriate that I end with the topic movie I began this class with?  Those dang coconuts just clop in my head all the time thinking about King Arthur.  You can’t blame me though; it is a funny movie, even if it is highly inaccurate. Or is it… 
There are so many different versions, who said a swallow can’t carry a coconut to the lands of Britain.  Would it be the craziest thing to believe in?  Having a knight have his head cut off is almost as the same as King Arthur fighting the black knight and turning him into a quadriplegic.
 In a slight stretch, we had talked about looking for the Holy Grail, and that is a big part in the movie.  During the movie the movie the knights and Arthur saw god appear and told them to search for the Holy Grail.  So these knights were very Christian, and in search for a picture to add in I came across this one.   Apologies in advance if I offend anyone.  
It fits in the theme of being funny. 
 In Geoffrey, Arthur had fought a giant and shown his bravery.  This can be sort of kind of related back to the rabbit with big pointy teeth.  Instead of using his sword; Arthur uses the holy hand grenade.  There is a special scene in the movie where Sir Galahad finds the castle reminds me of mists of Avalon and even though the movie came out before the book.  In the readings there were lots of drugs, sex, and weird rituals.  The entire scene in Monty python when Sir Galahad is being introduced to the kinky lives of an all girls castle seems oddly similar to Mists of Avalon.  According to the internet there was an actual green knight in the movie, but I don’t remember seeing one. ‘
 Lastly I think the movie incorporates merlin in a way that is very scary.  He definitely reminded me of the demon baby from prose merlin.  He said in the movie how he has knowledge of past, present, and future, which is what merlin had in prose merlin.     
                I know it seems weird to think about but I think movie relates to all aspects of readings we did, all accept Avalon High; the creators of Monty python have standards.   It is silly to think a comedy incorporates a good bit of what we had learned in class this semester, but someone the creators were able to.   It might not be exact, or historically accurate, but it gets the point across and in a funny way.  I had a lot of fun this semester and I am going to miss the class. 
                Kay BYEEEEEE

3 comments:

  1. I haven't seen anyyy of the Monty Python movies, but the Holy Grail one has sparked my interest and definitely will be added to the list after all the lessons from this class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully support you choice in wanting to watch this epic movie. It has that older comedy feel, but still is a classic and can't be touched.

      Delete
  2. SHE TURNED ME INTO A NEWT!...Well...I got better...Haha I love Monty Python too man. I see plenty of elements in our readings from this classic piece of piece of film to the point where I envision some of the main characters appearing as they do in the movie while we read!.

    ReplyDelete