Friday, May 2, 2014

*Sniff Sniff* Last Post


With this being the last post, I will have quite a lot to talk about.   The class in general was always a pleasure going to.  I enjoyed everyone’s comments brought to each discussion, as well as the energy throughout the class. It wasn’t one of those ‘sit back and let the teacher talk for an hour and a half (some lecture classes).   I enjoyed the class from start to finish. I now know a hell of a lot more about King Arthur than I did coming into the class. Coming into the class I really had no idea who or what King Arthur actually was except a king during the medieval era (my actual thoughts). Coming out of this class, I’ll be able to further explain all the mythologies, tales, and tribulations that has brought the origins of the legend of King Arthur.
 
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/76/7606093ac8e0bf8c9ccea92ca1837a460b9f07f70db5c12c96152a43d4dd8f07.jpg
 

                From all the stories we read this semester, I have a few that I would call my favorites for this class. I really enjoyed the story of “Sir Gawain and the Green Knight”, that was probably the first one where the stories started to peak my interest, even though “The Knight of the Cart” was interesting too.  However, I found SGGK was weird in which made me like it even more. Another story that I liked was obviously the Grail Quest.  The quest stories would always have me deep into the pages. I like some of the romance section but when I read stories I follow well with more actions than talking.  Being said I did like the poems of the Lady of Shalott and The Passing of Arthur. It was really cool dissecting them in class so I could better understand what was being said.  Once and Future King was really great to read. It was new seeing the young Arthur, especially after watching Sword in the Stone.  Knight Life sort of intrigued me, mostly because it was seeing the same old Arthur but changing the time period and throwing him into New York City. Before we were assigned to read it and the professor was explaining it I felt it sort of reminded me of the movie Enchanted, except without all the Disney influence. I liked the twist of Medieval Arthur living in modern times (even running for mayor).  I would have to say that Avalon High was a real joy to read. Like I said in my earlier post, it was a guilty pleasure of mine. All the other readings weren’t bad to read. They each help give different interpretations of Arthur, but the ones that I pointed out were most interesting to me. 

 I don’t think there would be anything I would change from this class, it was a very enlightening.  Our professor, Mitchell-Buck was a veryyyy good instructor. The energy and enthusiasm she brought to each class really made it always a pleasure to be in class. Maybe this is just wishful thinking for the future, but it would have been awesome to watch Quest for Camelot. I think it would be a great addition to next semester’s class! Thank you so much for putting together such a great lesson about King Arthur. Thanks a ton for the donuts and not having us WATCH Avalon High.
-JH

1 comment:

  1. At the start of this class, I was the same as you. I really didn't have an idea of who King Arthur truly was. I just knew he was a famous king with knights of the round table. I honestly probably couldn't even associate Merlin with King Arthur. But this class has really improved my knowledge and we now all have interesting cocktail jokes and stories.

    ReplyDelete